Monday, May 29, 2017

13 Reasons Why (2017)


Having read the book, I instantly knew I was going to be watching this show. 13 Reasons Why follows high school student Hannah Baker after she commits suicide and her classmates deal with the aftermath. We see difficult scenes from rape, to harassment, and everything in between while not holding anything back from its viewers.

I know about the controversy surrounding this show.

It would be easy for me to say that people will not be affected negatively by this, but I am a grown woman with no history of mental health issues. It is easy for me to recommend this show without realizing I could be influencing someone in a way that I would not like to.

The characters are all affected by Hannah's suicide and the way Hannah handled life has caused a lot of people to call her a selfish character. I personally disagree with that as this is a high school girl dealing with a lot more than she could handle.

I cannot in good conscience recommend this show anymore as mental health professionals have condemned the content of this show. I can personally watch this kind of content and not be triggered by it in any way. However I understand others cannot. People either love or hate this show for the reasons mentioned above. If you have not watched it and decide to, just be aware of the controversy surrounding it and how it may affect you.





No comments:

Post a Comment