Tuesday, October 27, 2015

Un Gallo Con Muchos Huevos

Un Gallo Con Muchos Huevos


This is the first animated film I've seen with a PG13 rating. This is a film in Spanish with English subtitles, and while in Spanish I guess it earns that rating, I'm not sure about the English translation. This is a funny film with double entendres as its main form of comedy, but I think the jokes would go over the heads of those who speak only English as I am not sure how well the jokes would translate.

"Un Gallo Con Muchos Huevos", according to the subtitles, is something "Egg-cellent Adventure". I didn't pay too much attention to it since it made it sound totally lame. The title literally translates to "The Rooster with Many Eggs", but this is a PG-13 film so the translation should actually read as "The Rooster with Big Balls". Anyway, the story follows Toto (Bruno Bichir) who is an awkward little rooster trying to find his crow. The owner of the farm in which he lives recently lost her husband and is on the verge of losing her farm as well after going bankrupt.

Toto and his friends decide to enter a cockfighting competition (in this case cockfighting equals boxing roosters) in order to try and keep the farm.

Toto, his love interest Di, her father, the eggs and a piece of bacon all set out to get Toto ready for the big fight.

The film is written and directed by Gabriel Riva Palacio Alatriste. He does a good job balancing the film's comedy and heart. There are also a lot of fun pop culture references such as the egg who looks like the godfather and lots of visually interesting characters like the duck egg that is covered in tattoos.

The characters are part of the "Huevocartoons" or "Egg cartoons". Yes, they are literally eggs with arms, legs and faces. It makes absolutely no sense. I first saw the egg characters on stickers that my cousin from Mexico had on her door. I could not understand why anyone would want to watch eggs. Then my boyfriend recommended the first egg film and I reluctantly did so. I still could not see the appeal of those darn eggs. My mind did not change overnight. I found the film funny, but my mind could not get past the fact that the main characters were eggs. After watching this film I understand a little more. My mind has finally accepted these little egg people and I enjoy watching their personalities and their interactions with each other.

These characters are beyond weird, but if you go in prepared for them and you allow yourself not to overthink the fact that there is a Snoop Duck and a Duck Claude Van Damme you can fully enjoy the silliness that is this film. It is over the top and ridiculous, but that's what these eggs are. Pure fun and entertainment.

The only part of the film I was a little iffy about was the cockfighting, but that's more political on my part. At least these roosters weren't gouging and tearing each other open. Had I not seen the subtitles refer to the boxing roosters as cock fighters I might have been more okay with the context of the fights.

I glanced at the subtitles occasionally only because my brain wanted to read the words on the screen even though I don't need to. However, I was able to keep my brain from reading everything and I listened to what was being said. The jokes are risqué in Spanish and again, I'm not sure how well those jokes translated into English. I'm sure some them translated fine, but this film did not do well at the box office and I'm thinking it's mainly because the English translation is not going to capture the spirit of the Spanish language,

Overall, I enjoyed this film and I think more people will too, if they give it a chance.

No comments:

Post a Comment