Friday, November 6, 2020

Ghostbusters (2016)

 


It makes sense to see the "Ghostbusters" reboot. As I mentioned in my original 1984 "Ghostbusters" review, the reboot was instantly hated and reviled from the moment it was announced.

I had no interest in watching his film when it was initially announced. My simple reason being: I hated "Bridesmaids" and both films involved almost the same people. It made no sense to watch a film if I didn't like the previous team up, but my opinion about watching the "Ghostbusters" reboot began changing as all the unnecessary hate aimed at it grew. 

The women received unending hate with Leslie Jones dealing with the worst of it as she had to deal with racist attacks on top of everything else.

It was appalling the way, mainly childish men, reacted towards this film. It bombed at the box office cementing its female led fate to that of nonexistence. Instead, another film was made, as a direct sequel to 1989's "Ghostbusters II" with no acknowledgement that the 2016 film ever existed.

Anyway, I think the entire situation is completely unfair, especially considering that if given a fair chance, this film is not that bad. I watched it mainly to support everyone involved in this project after the unfairness of the situation, but it still wasn't something I was looking forward to, and yet I had a good time. 

The "Ghostbusters" reboot was trying to do something different from the original which I appreciated. If you're going to do a reboot or a remake, then don't do a shot for shot remake for fan service (although I begrudgingly admit that that stupid formula works). There are fun Easter eggs and call outs to the original "Ghostbusters" film. Overall, though, the film has its own storyline. There are similar plotlines, but there are enough differences to warrant its existence.

The leads are funny with Leslie Jones being a standout for me. The final boss was more difficult to fight than the boss in the original. 

McKinnon is funny, but not usually my kind of humor, but I did enjoy her in this one. Leslie Jones though, stole the film for me. She's not over the top with her delivery, making it more funny to me. She has a natural comedic timing that doesn't require her to do more than say her lines.

If you haven't watched this film, I say give it a chance. I'm not saying you're going to like it more than the original, but I think you'll enjoy it all the same.

No comments:

Post a Comment