Friday, September 13, 2019

Dora and the Lost City of Gold (2019)

3.5 stars ✨

I was told too old to watch Dora the Explorer when it premiered in the early 2000s. The show was aimed at toddlers as it followed five year old Dora, her companion Boots the monkey and her talking backpack as the explored different regions of I’m guessing Latin America. Needless to say when a Dora adaptation was announced I was one of the many people who scoffed at the idea. The adaptation takes place ten years later with a fifteen year old Dora at the helm. It can be silly and ridiculous, but it’s surprisingly a lot of fun especially since it doesn’t take itself too seriously.

There aren’t too many films starring a mainly Latino cast. I balked at the idea of watching this film at first, but seeing the success of “Black Panther” and “Crazy Rich Asians” I knew I had to give this one a chance. I loved “Black Panther” and “Crazy Rich Asians” and I loved that I got to support these diverse films that were also genuinely good films. And despite my initial reservations “Dora” was also a good film. Is it going to win Oscars or get nominated like the other two? Probably not, but I went, I saw and I had a great time.

No comments:

Post a Comment