Wednesday, November 4, 2015

Jurassic World

Jurassic World
Rated PG13, 124 Minutes, 2015

Before I say anything else... Yes, I barely saw this film! Don't judge me... Speaking of judging, time for the review! I am going to be honest. I can be harsh when it comes to the films I watch especially if it's a sequel to a beloved film. (Let's forget the existence of Jurassic Park 2&3. For all of our sakes.) Not only that, but in this day and age I believe there should be no excuse for lazy script writing. I also don't believe we should excuse films for such as being "just an action film made for entertainment", or "just another chick flick", etc. We should demand more. That being said, this film had a lot of potential, but there were too many plot holes that I, personally, can't ignore and the sad thing is they could have been fixed with minor changes to the script. We know the I-Rex is smarter and stronger than anyone anticipated. I would have believed it escaped from its enclosure more than the stupid humans (and the human characters in this film are INCREDIBLY stupid) actually aiding its escape. There was no need for the divorce plot line. It added nothing to the story. The arc of the characters were none to, really?! There has been some debate as to whether Claire's character is a strong female role model. My take on it: no. Sure she is a strong, powerful, business woman, but how is that represented? She is stuffy, cold, and uptight. Her arc goes from that to suddenly being more open because of a guy. She sees what her sister has and she wants it for herself now. That's fine. Some women go from not wanting families to wanting them, but I felt the relationship between her and Owen was forced and it's obvious the film believes all women end up wanting the same thing. In a conversation with her sister, the sister says "when you have kids" to which Claire says "IF I have kids", her sister replies, "WHEN". Seriously, NOT EVERY WOMAN WANTS TO BE A MOTHER! Get that through your skulls, please. Claire sees the dinosaurs as assets, I think her arc would have been more interesting if the realizes these are living, breathing creatures. It's hinted at, but her main story arc is still. "I'm stuffy I don't need a man. I'm not stuffy anymore because I have a man." The only characters I felt for were the dinosaurs and that one park attendant dude who is in charge of the gyro spheres. I feel you man! Customer service is a whole other beast. Speaking of which, whose bright idea was it to have the gyro spheres able to be driven by park attendants without the aid of a track or trail? It takes one person to prove this is a bad idea... Oh, right. Someone did prove that. *sigh*

My rating: 3 stars
Official Site: www.jurassicworld.com
Director: Colin Trevorrow
Producer: Frank Marshall, Patrick Crowley, Steven Spielberg and Thomas Tull
Cast: Chris Pratt, Bryce Howard, Irrfan Khan, Vincent D'Onofrio, Ty Simpkins, Nick Robinson, Jake Johnson, Omar Sy, B.D. Wong, Judy Greer, Lauren Lapkus, Brian Tee, Katie McGrath, Andy Buckley and Eric Edelstein

TL;DR All my problems explained in this little clip


No comments:

Post a Comment