Saturday, November 14, 2015

Dear Zachary: A Letter to a Son About His Father (2008)


4.5/5 Stars

There isn't much I can say about this film in terms of a review without giving too much away. I can say that this film was made with all the love and admiration in the world. Kurt Kuenne initially made this documentary in order to learn everything he could about his closest friend Andrew Bagby. Despite having known him for twenty-two years, he realizes that there is still so much he doesn't know about his friend. This tribute to his murdered friend changed course when it was discovered he was going to be a father. Kurt instead decided to make the film for Zachary, Andrew's son, so he could know his father in some way. No one could have guessed what would happen next.

This documentary tears at your heartstrings. It's poignant and beautiful and everything a tribute to a loved one should be, but it is also infuriating and awful in the worst possible way. That's all I will say. Please take the time to watch the film. It is worth it and be prepared to cry. A lot. Although it was interesting to me to see my reaction versus my boyfriend's. I was more of a Kathleen and he was a David. You'll understand if you watch. But seriously, I still feel empty and even just watching the trailer I tear up. It's definitely worth the watch. 

No comments:

Post a Comment