Wednesday, September 9, 2015

The Gallows

Reese Mishler and Pfeifer Brown in "The Gallows" | New Line Cinema


I will say that I have always wondered how scary my high school would be at night and "The Gallows" explores that.

The story takes place in Beatrice, Nebraska. A town where everyone knows everyone and the school is way too big for the small student population.

Of course the majority of this film takes place at night and with the maze of tunnels underneath, all I could think was, "This is what it must be like inside El Paso High School". I needed something to think about while my brain wrapped its head around the fact that this was yet another found footage film.

I don't like to be scared and I don't know why I still watch horror films. I need to calm myself down even if it's a film that isn't considered to be that scary. Thankfully, this film is one of those films where you can guess when something is about to pop out at you and I was able to prepare myself for them. I didn't think this film was anything surprising and new and I didn't particularly think that the plot twists at the end were clever.

The film opens in 1993 with some parents filming Beatrice High School's production of "The Gallows".

I guess they needed to make up a play since no other show includes someone about to be hanged for their crimes.

Charlie is playing the male lead at the last second and he ends up standing at the gallows with the noose around his neck when the trap door drops unexpectedly.

Twenty years later we are introduced to Ryan (Ryan Shoos), his girlfriend Cassidy (Cassidy Gifford), and his best friend Reese (Resse Mishler) who is currently the male lead in, of course,

"The Gallows".

Twenty years after Charlie's death everyone is okay with "The Gallows" being back in production. I don't know how this makes any sense, but things in horror films should never be questioned.

Anyway, Reese is a terrible actor and because Ryan is an obnoxious character, he convinces his best friend that the best thing he can do for the show is destroy the set so that the show will be cancelled and he won't humiliate himself. Since Reese has a crush on the female lead, Pfeifer (Pfeifer Brown), this plan will somehow get her to seek comfort in him.

Cassidy, Reese and Ryan sneak into the school after hours and start destroy the set and props. Pfeifer shows up after she sees Reese's car parked outside the school.... They seriously thought that was a good idea? Of course, things start going bad at this point. They can no longer get out of the school and the real scares begin. This film uses more jump scares and sounds to scare the audience which again is great for someone like me who doesn't like to be scared. If you're looking for something that will scare the pants off of you, this is not the film.

"The Gallows" is a short film. It has a run time of 80 minutes. You get introduced to the characters and the plot early on which saves plenty of time for scares. The actors all did a pretty good job in their roles and the ending leaves it open for sequels. I'm hoping their won't be because there really isn't anywhere new you can take this story, but we'll see.

2 out of 5 stars.

New Line Cinema. Directed and written by: Chris Lofing and Travis Cluff. Run time: 80 minutes. Rated R (Disturbing violence and terror) 

No comments:

Post a Comment