Thursday, July 2, 2020

Cult of Chucky (2017)



Honestly, as a demented child, the second installment in the “Child’s Play” franchise was my favorite as a kid for a while. I never knew how long the Chucky franchise existed after this, but we found this one, which is apparently the seventh, on Netflix. There’s strong evidence after watching this that a Chucky should have stayed dead a long time ago. Cult of Chucky is ridiculously silly and I’m not sure even horror fans would enjoy this.

This film is written and directed by Don Mancini. I enjoyed this film simply because it was so bad and so ridiculous, I couldn’t help laughing at the situations occurring on screen. This film is currently streaming on Netflix if you’d like to check it out for yourself and get some good laughs in.

I haven’t seen anything after Child’s Play 2, but this film clear picks up after the events of what was probably the sixth film in the franchise. Nica (Fiona Dourif) is in a wheelchair and after finally giving in to her psychotherapist Foley (Michael Therriault) by saying that she in fact committed some murders and not Chucky, she’s moved to a lower security asylum. To continue her healing in therapy he brings in a good guy doll and of course, this proves to be a mistake.

Also appearing in the film are Andy Barclay (Alex Vincent) from the first Child’s Play installments and the Bride of Chucky herself, Tiffany (Jennifer Tilley). I’m really only familiar with Andy, but Tiffany is well known as the Bride.

Cult of Chucky has a slow start. We see the pristinely white asylum where the patients live and we get glimpses into their therapy sessions, but things don’t start to pick up until Chucky shows up on the scene and the killings begin. 

More than one killer doll exists in the asylum and they take pleasure in killing the residents in over the top, but never too gruesome ways. As I said, I got more laughs out of this film than anything else.

The good news is that this film is relatively short. The bad news, this is as over the top as ridiculous as a horror movie can get. For being the lead Fiona Dourif isn’t used much and I wish she had been. I don’t know if more films will be added to this franchise (I believe the latest iteration is a reboot), but I wouldn’t be surprised if this storyline continued down the line, especially since the reboot flopped. I wouldn’t be surprised if Nica, Tiffany and Chucky joined forces again and honestly, I might watch it especially if I’ll get a good laugh out of it.

No comments:

Post a Comment