Thursday, August 20, 2015

"Nine Stories" by J.D. Salinger

I've read three of J.D. Salinger's books:

1. "The Catcher in the Rye"
2. "Franny and Zooey"
3. "Nine Stories"

This is the first one I enjoyed.

1. The characters did not annoy me as his other ones have done.
2. My friends that enjoyed his novels felt as though he captured the essence of what it was like to grow up. I could not relate to Holden, Franny or Zooey in anyway. I thought they were whiny people. The characters in each of the nine stories captured me. For once I wanted to know what happened to them. I thought their lives beautiful and tragic and heart-warming. However, I am still not a fan of Salinger's. I am not inclined to pick up another one of his books. I read this one as part of a reading challenge and to go to a bookstore to look specifically for his novels is not going to happen.
3. Since it was a Salinger book I was not excited to read it. This helped me be pleasantly surprised when I read it.
4. The stories themselves are well-written stories. They all have something special about them. All the characters add something to the story and the imagery is gorgeous. The first one left me shocked for a while after I read it. I wanted to know more about the artist going through his "blue period" about Lee and the girl with the green eyes. I especially wanted to know about Esme and her wish for a story with squalor.

I recommend these stories!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mxVRPbhtxRg

No comments:

Post a Comment